Monday, January 10, 2011

Bonjemari

I am now in Shatabdi express and heading towards Howrah It is 7 pm and hot tomato soup was just served. A little while ago, I visited Bonjemari. This is a site that is close to Maithon / Chittaranjan. An area of 1100 acres has been identified for shifting people in 139 locations that are subsidence-prone due to underground mining.
.
I wished to emphasise that the mini-township must be planned well. It should be sustainable, carbon-friendly and economically vibrant. Onkar Meen (DM Burdwan), CEO ADDA, AEOs, Town Planner (Anindita & Others) were with me.
-
Earlier, I had this very interesting brainstorming session at ADDA House in Asansol where I followed up the tasks assigned to me at Delhi on Affordable Housing. The basic question was: "What can be done to facilitate PPP projects solely for the EWS / LIG category?"
I got some good suggestions. I requested all present to present their views to me by email within a week.

2 comments:

  1. It is indeed very interesting and thought provoking of considering planned rehabilitation lay out for those who require shifting due to subsidence.

    I wish to follow up the project and see one successful sustainable community planning model could evolve , far away of the chaotic urban mess.
    Prof. Monideep Chattopadhyay

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'd be happy to share our thoughts. I'll invite you when we have made some concrete progress

    ReplyDelete