Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Urban Strategy

I attended a meeting on Urban Strategy formulation for West Bengal. This is organised by SUDA (State Urban Development Agency). ASCI & CGC are making the report.

I mentioned that we should design speciality cities. For example, the McKenzie report released recently talks about speciality cities where investments have been substantial. In the all India list, there was mention of Asansol (Mining Speciality), Haldia (Port) and Siliguri (Tourism). I said that Kalyani didn't succeed well because there was no specialty focus -or branding, if you will- and was also quite far away from Kolkata. An article has commented recently that people don't like to commute more than one hour a day and surely Kalyani isn't that close.

I also mentioned that there should be a focus on environment, energy efficiency and global warming issues.

I hope a good report will come out eventually

No comments:

Post a Comment